MAPS & NETWORKS - A NEW IDEA?

Obviously we're not going to completely change our idea😄 But after speaking with Paul Vivian (head of our course) I was leaning strongly to the ideas he suggested.

I was never fully keen on the idea of plain white masks, which is why Dani and I decided that we create our own masks in the shape of the country of where our models culture is originated. These would include: Nepal, St. Lucia/Ghana, Hong Kong. We would place these masks over certain parts of the face, between the photographic print and video projection.

However, Paul wasn't sold on the idea. He said that we needed to have more in depth meaning. Not just masks in the shape of a country. I understood what he meant and I definitely agreed with him. We came up with the idea of hanging objects from the models heritage; whether it be a head scarf, face mask, chopsticks, etc. This idea was good and stronger than what we initially came up with, but we didn't have that much time - as we were about to break up for the Christmas holidays and Dani would be going back to Portugal, whereas I lived in the UK. This was one of our biggest issues, which meant that we had to get as much work done before the term ended.

As well as adding the new objects that Paul and I had discussed, we also agreed that the bigger, the better. I new that I wanted the photographic prints to be large, possible A0 in size. Dani knew she wanted to incorporate some kind of sound piece. After speaking with Paul, I came up with the idea of having our models record themselves, explaining what it was they liked about their culture and the struggles they faced in todays society with being from that culture.

Dani and I eventually decided that we wanted this sound piece to be played aloud through speakers. The layout is yet to be decided. But Dani will be working on sound and I will be editing the photos and videos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I HAVE A DREAM

Available Light